Wednesday 22 May 2013

My thoughts on: SHINee’s Why so Serious? MV



Another MV review-thing. This time it’s SHINee, with their new MV, Why so Serious? Yes, I know I’m late, but screw it! I love SHINee.

Okay, let’s get something very important out of the way. During this MV’s production, SHINee’s main vocalist Jonghyun was injured, so he doesn’t appear in it. In fact, they even re-recorded bits of the song with his vocals in it, so his voice isn’t even there. Being a proper Shawol (SHINee fan, for those who don’t know– the word is a shortened form of ‘SHINee World’), I was very upset. I miss Jjong. But, I will, though, try to be as unbiased as possible.

We miss you, Dino
 Since ‘Why so Serious?’ is the second part of their album, I just can’t help but compare the MV to Dream Girl, the first part of the album. And as amazing as the boys look here, I really felt Dream Girl was better– and not just because of their wicked mike-stand dance.




Alright, the MV starts off with a little still of the members (and this is when I first realized there was no Jjong), and then the music starts with a little whisper from Minho. I love that they now have Minho start songs with that whispering, sexy voice of his. What I don’t love is this:


No. Hell no. Minho shouldn’t have his hair down. This is not sexy Minho. This… okay, I’m just gonna skip over this. Alright, moving on.

So, then Taemin goes into this awesome rock and roll-style pull (because, essentially, this is what both Dream Girl and Why so Serious? are– rock-type songs). He pretends to yawn as he pulls in this cute way my older sister is absolutely in love with. Seriously. This is so cute, but right now I can't put up a crappily-made gif... sorry! A still will have to do.


 So I guess snaps of how each of the members look is necessary, right? 

Oh, freaking hell Key looks really nice here!
I love Key’s beret! I love how he looks with it. It reminds me of a French schoolgirl style, and I mean that in the best way possible.
Also, everyone notice Onew’s hair is up? I was extremely pleased. Hairstylists usually have this way of ruining Onew’s look in every MV in at least one frame, but this time his hair is up through the whole thing, and he looks fantastic.
And Taemin’s hat fashion… I’m not the biggest fan. He has his hair pretty and down in another setting, so at least we have that, but the hat… not cool.
 But the contacts! Loving those. Very pretty.

And then we go onto one of the coolest things about this song– the dance. The dance is very conceptual, all based on zombies and all that. Every Locket’s favourite bit has to be when Zombie Key (Zom-Key? Ha ha) ‘scares’ the other three members.

And then the chick of the story appears. I guess because the concept is all ‘life after death’ the whole thing is white, and this girl in the white dress is super-pale. We never get a face-shot, thus letting every Shawol fantasise for a moment that this girl is them.
Except I can’t because my hair isn’t long enough and this girl looks to have boobs.

Where was I? Okay, moving on. Girl. But, oh forget her, we have Onew! I love these lines of Onew’s. Y’know, his voice is so distinct, I think it really would’ve been a great fit for this song. But sadly he has so few lines.

Right, so the girl goes up this super-white staircase, and goes to see SHINee in this super-white room. This is about the same time the chorus starts. I’m not really partial to the chorus. It’s too bright and loud, and just sounds a little too… show-tune-y? I don’t know, maybe I’m making stuff up, but when I first heard this song I really felt like the chorus didn’t fit the song.
Except now I don’t mind because SHINee.

The guys are all into the girl, and then Minho’s part starts. Key says a line, and there is super-pretty close-up of him that I have to include.

 And then one of Taemin’s many lines comes up. Or maybe he’s just singing a normal amount, but because I’m so bitter about Onew’s totally non-existent lines they seem so many. Onew sings the next line, and he looks so good doing it!
He looks better moving, I swear.
 I think one of the things I liked about this video is that when they’re trying to impress the girl, they do things that are associated with their real personalities. Minho’s playing the guitar and looking so cool, Onew’s being a sweetheart at the table with her, and then later Key comes with his books and almightiness and Taemin with his cute and adorable little game.

Alright, next we have Key’s part, and I love his rock-and-roll voice and the cute, weird dance that goes with it. 



And then we get our first view of the other dance setting. Okay, let’s get it out: I do not like this setting. I was already uncomfortable with Key in their super-white ‘dorm’ room, but at least he had a black beret on. Key is already really, really white. His hair is really blonde, and it just seems weird to me to have him against such a white background.
They were moving around! There was nothing I could do!
And there’s another setting. Poor Jonghyun, missed out on wearing some cool stuff, because in this set, they’re wearing some super cool stuff! Onew’s looking mighty fine, but I can’t put up a picture because if I put up a pic every time any of the SHINee guys looked good, this thing would never end. Without the pictures, this blog post is already over two pages long in MS Word.

And then Taemin starts singing the part Minho did earlier. Rapping, I guess? I don’t really know who did it better, they were both good. Taemin is in that cool-clothes setting, and since I feel I’ve terribly overlooked Taemin what with his hat-style, I’ll include it.
Now that's some awesome hair

 But first we get this awesome little cut of Key in the afore-mentioned cool-clothes setting, and he looks so good...

 And then Minho’s real rap part starts. And he dances in the front. And I don’t like it.


See, I love Minho, and I recognize his very attractive qualities, but also his flaws. Minho is tall. He has the perfect model proportions– a small head and some wonderfully long legs. But they can both be flaws as well. What do we do to keep his head from looking tiny? We give him some good, volume-adding hairstyles, like in this MV. But what do we not do to make his legs look sticks is put him in those uber-tight pants.
Okay, I get it. Skinny jeans have always been part of SHINee’s look, especially apparent in Juliette. But the angle of the camera in this set in Why so Serious? is kind of low, see, so it just makes their lower halves look even bigger, and with Minho in the front–especially doing this dance that has a lot of legwork–it just looks kind of awkward.

Oh, right, there’s this little story also going on in the MV, where, for some reason, the SHINee guys are trying to hide the girl from this policeman who comes in. Now, when we first ‘saw’ this guy, we didn’t really see him, leading some hopeful Blingers to think it was Jonghyun. It isn’t. It’s this guy.
That’s not Jjong. Hopes were crushed.

Right, so they manage to hide from Not-Jonghyun (a celebratory dance with the girl here is mandatory), who leaves right after Taemin sings into a stuffed bunny. And then Taemin goes on to do this next line that was supposed to be Jonghyun’s, thus robbing us of two Jonghyuns. I don’t know what I’m saying anymore.

But, the good thing is, right before Taemin takes over Jjong’s pull, they show little shots of the guys. Onew looks too adorable.

More dancing (there’s backup dancers, now, in the black background set) and then Key gives us the prettiest look I have ever seen.


 Alright, they’re all just looking super-good in this MV, we need another wave of snapshots.



 And the song ends with a bow.



Oh, wait, there’s a little extra, too! Not-Jonghyun looks through the little glass window in the door (I forget the name of that thing), and sees the chick dancing.
Alone.
I think, for the first time, I’ve finally realized what that scene is supposed to be. I’ve never gone so far before (who needs another scene after the SHINee guys bow?) but I saw it this time! The SHINee guys are ghosts! Not-Jonghyun can’t see them, but the chick can, and she was hanging out with them.

Figures such good-looking guys wouldn’t exist in the real world.




Oh! Almost forgot to do this:



Because we love you and miss you, Jjong.

No comments:

Post a Comment