Thursday 19 September 2013

Album Review: Seungri’s Let’s Talk About Love EP




My Seungri baby is back! Long overdue review, and not really an album, but who gives a fuck? This is all about Seungri and how awesome he is.
Okay, I will try to be unbiased, okay? But I mean this quite seriously, the EP is pretty damn good.

He's so gorgeous, I can't


 Let’s Talk About Love
The first track on the EP is the title track, featuring Seungri’s BIGBANG bandmates G-Dragon and Taeyang. Typical dance type song, which starts off with perhaps one of the shittiest choruses yet. And I thought Gotta Talk to U had it bad. Chorus-barred, the song’s pretty good. In fact, what I’m saddest about (even sadder than about the crappy chorus) is that GD and Taeyang’s parts sound better than Seungri’s. They both rap really well (YB, you never fail to impress) and Seungri’s singing parts just sound weak in comparison.

Gotta Talk to U
Next up is the song Seungri mainly promoted. I already wrote a review of the MV, which pretty much included a lot about the song itself. Pretty nice song– Seungri sounds really gorgeous on the parts, keeping his voice very sweet and soft. The chorus is a bit of a letdown, but it is catchy. Also, what is up with Seungri’s low range? How can he do that, and sound like a completely different person? The tone of the song is longing, and I like how they added this in after Let’s Talk About Love. The whole EP seems to be about alternating upbeat and not-so-upbeat songs.

GG Be
Featuring the in-every-fucking-place-YG-trainee Jennie Kim. The song is really nice– I really like it, anyway. It’s upbeat and preppy, kind of jazzy? I don’t know, but I really like it. Even though the chorus is just a lot of repeating (it seems this is Seungri’s style), it’s good. I only take a little offence with the featuring of Jennie Kim. Seungri said he wanted to also add the girl’s perspective, so that’s fine, but I initially disliked her voice. U-Know, she also featured on GD’s song Black? Her voice was quite good in that, and I feel she half-assed it for Seungri. Or maybe I’m just getting touchy. Well, her voice does contrast nicely with Seungri’s, but maybe the song would’ve been better without her.

Come to My
Mandatory ballad. I like this song. Generally, I have a preference for ballads, and this song fit nicely into that. Seungri’s voice is really nice in this, and there’s enough beat behind it to keep you from getting bored. Not particularly original, typical pop-ballad, but very nice to listen to. The chorus sounds pretty good, but is the most unoriginal-sounding. The parts stand out for me, especially the second one, where in one line Seungri adds a little something that pulls at my heartstrings. Also, the end bit? Beautiful.

You Hoooo!!!
Yes, that is the number of O’s and exclamation marks the song came with. Very upbeat fun song, good summer-party song. Really refreshing after Come to My. I love the pre-chorus. Fair bit of warning though: don’t listen to it too loudly with headphones, or with only one ear plugged in. Seungri’s high notes will kill you. His voice is naturally quite high, and he just flaunts it so much in this song. It sounds damn good, but is potentially fatal. A fun song to move to, all-in-all.
Also, the third part? I used to hate it, but now I pretty much love it.

Love Box
Last track on the album, and also kind of sad. Starts off that way, and you expect this heart-wrenching song, but it then jumps into a more upbeat tune, still kind of sad, though. I love Seungri’s voice on sadder songs. This one is very smooth, like the rest of the EP, and I like it quite a bit. More upbeat than Come to My, a little longing like Gotta Talk to U. The last part, I like the sound of. Seungri’s voice goes all-out sweet, and the tune is kind of original. The chorus also, I have a preference for, and the few notes at the end is a nice way to end the EP overall.


This is a pretty good EP, and Seungri impressed me, and hopefully anyone else who might’ve had doubts about him. He participated in the composing and writing of every song on the EP, and it all sounds pretty damn good. The only weakness I might say, is that the songs don’t really make me think. Basically, adding the upbeat to the ballads kind of made them weak, and the songs are definitely ear-candy and brain-worms, but not particularly striking.


Rating: 7.5/10
Favourite song: It changes. I mean this seriously. Depending on my mood, I can love You Hoooo!!! the most, or Let’s Talk About Love, or any other song.
Least Favourite Song: Love Box (this is the only song that hasn’t yet taken a turn to by my favourite)


Quite impressive EP, and I’d really recommend buying it.
Thanks for reading, and if I can bring myself to, I might review G-Dragon’s Coup D’état next.

No comments:

Post a Comment