Wednesday 21 August 2013

My Thoughts On: Seungri's Gotta Talk To U MV

  BIGBANG's baby-no-more maknae is back, blowing any other artists out of your thoughts. With the upcoming release of Seungri's Let's Talk About Love, he's given us his new music video Gotta Talk To U, and as soon as I watched it I just had to jump behind my keyboard and talk about it.




  First off, let me just say, I fucking love Seungri. I wasn't a VIP when he released his first mini, so this release means a lot to me-- personal stake, if you will.

  I liked the MV. I have to say, though, that it isn't particularly memorable if you're not a Seungri fan; though how often can we come to expect an MV like Tarantallegra? Gotta Talk to U's MV was good, and a little beyond standard K-Pop fare.

  There's plenty of eye-candy though (it's Seungri, after all) so get ready for some screenshots and my always-hanging commentary.

 
  We get a shot of Seungri's back all suited-up, and he starts off the song. Ahh, right when he started, my heart jumped up. No, not just in a fangirl moment-- I really do like his voice, and it sounded so beautiful right off. Acoustic guitar is always a hit with me, and it really fit Seungri's soft, sweet voice.


Mandatory Seungri-turning-around screenshot.

 

  So, right off, we get a little taste of the storyline-- there's this girl, basically acting all normal and going about her business, and Seungri's watching her. It doesn't seem too stalker-y, actually, just... watching. In a normal sort of way. Not stalker-like. I don't even know what I'm saying anymore.



So we get some eye-candy shots of Seungri, and then it builds up to the pre-chorus. Honestly, there isn't much of a build-up; the beat increases only slightly. There's this little echo-like effect that he sings, and while the first same-word echo was kind of off-putting, the next sounded quite nice. The electronica in the background is pretty apparent, and as the chorus starts you know it's going to get louder.

It gets... weirder. The chorus basically consists of the same word being repeated quite a few times over, and Seungri's using this deep voice that I don't quite like. In fact, the first time I heard the chorus I wanted to slap it out of existence, but second-time onwards it was passable. It doesn't seem half-bad now.
Oh, but Seungri in white coat, that's always good!



So then we go to second part, same soft sweet voice, but the bass beat is more apparent now. Also, we see Seungri dance more clearly, and that's always good!


You can also nicely see the holographic effect going on. It's cool, but it can be damn annoying when you're trying to get a good screenshot. In fact, I'm just gonna load up on some good shots.
 
 
Love the hair


  Chorus again, and this time we can see Seungri dance more clearly. There is, obviously, a very hip-centric move-- that will never leave K-Pop. But I can't quite call it a thrust, more like a groove. And yes, it is sexy.


I love the little bit after the chorus. yes, I know, that part also consists of just one word over and over again, but I love Seungri's voice sweet, and it sounds really sweet there.

Third part, kind of slower, and Seungri's voice is a little deeper but not too much. And more of the story (y'know, beyond the posing and the watching) comes into play. We see the chick on the phone, having a difficult conversation with someone, and then Seungri is sitting, trying to reach her.

 



 

Right after the third part, we go back to the tune of the first+second parts, and then again to chorus, where Seungri is now dancing with a chick. Not the acting girl, though, this girl is different.



And now the girl is in her own room, like she's sitting right in front of him but she's not. Y'know, the used-before ploy.
What's more important though, is that Seungri's doing this little dance by himself, and I'm loving it! He looks so cute. I know that's probably not what he was going for, but well, what can he do?


 

I know they're actually just mind-connecting, but right then I really thought they were about to have subconscious-level sex. I know, I'm such a perv. But can you blame me?


And right after the chick's not-subconscious-level-orgasm, the MV ends with a good Seungri shot.

Except not. This little background music starts building, electronic music. And I know I won't like this.

Drum beat starts building up, and the electronic background starts building up, and then Seungri says one line before this dubstep music (is that what it's called? Dubstep?) starts up. Very generic. Not to my taste. I was hoping maybe for a dance break, to maybe save this dubstep music, but nothing. Seungri just dances a little, and the chick just dances a little in a club.

 And then Seungri and the girl finally get together. Like, conscious-level sex. Physically. What? What am I saying right now?

And then the song ends. Honestly, the end bit was totally unnecessary. Remember when I said I'd edit Incredible, remove Quincy's rap? (I managed to, by the way, yay me!) Well, I'd just like to cut out the end bit of this MV. I did. It's much better now.

Well, that's it for Seungri's Gotta Talk to U MV. Really nice song for the most part, but the MV could've done without the end bit. Seungri deserves success with this one, and I hope he gets it. x

No comments:

Post a Comment