Friday 7 February 2014

Album Review: First Sensibility- B.A.P




I am so excited to review this for you! It’s B.A.P’s first album, First Sensibility. So let’s check it out, and see if it lived up to my excitement. This is a bit overdue, since I had other stuff on my plate, but it’s out now.




 
Intro (B.A.P)
Right what it says on the tin. It’s the intro. Very Warrior-style B.A.P, strong, powerful. The short song is okay, but most certainly not the best in the album. And I don’t know if it’s just me, but I kind of don’t like the ‘the king is back’ line. I know it’s just one line, but the inclusion of it bugs me.

1004 (Angel)
Album title track, which had the most spectacularly gorgeous MV, which I reviewed. It’s not only the MV; the song itself is beautiful. The kind of song that rips at your heart, and yet is not boring at all. I’ll just cut to it: this is my favourite song off the album. It really is perfect, and I’m glad they’re promoting this one.

Easy
Another one just like its name. It’s a very easy-listening song, with a lot of Coffee Shop vibes. Kind of jazzy, very soft. I like the rap. What can I say? I like lazy rap, even though my sisters absolutely hate it (it’s okay Junhyung, I love your rap!). The only thing is I’m kind of having difficulty picking out Jongup and Himchan? Must listen more closely, I guess.

Spy
Okay, so it’s obvious that when you think of a K-Pop song called Spy, especially one where they spell it out S.P.Y, most likely you’re thinking of Super Junior’s S.P.Y. But I have to say I like B.A.P’s one better. This one is more coherent and flows better. I like this song; it’s fun and upbeat, definitely louder than the two tracks before.

Check On
Another upbeat song. Something that’s pretty easy to dance to. Honestly it sounds a little generic, or maybe I’m just remembering it from the teaser medley? But with a song like this, it doesn’t much matter, and in fact it’s kind of to be expected. I hope they get to promote this one at shows too, seems like one you’d like to see performed.

Shady Lady
A more RnB-style song. Loved Youngjae’s voice in this, it really suits this type of songs. Zelo’s opening was so beautiful in this. It’s quite slow, easy-listening, the rap kind of slow and quiet. Sounds quite classy. Very different from the song right before it on the tracklist.

Lovesick
I love the opening of this. It’s a straight pop song, with a kind of soft undercurrent. The chorus is kind of brighter, but the song never gets too loud or hard. Soft pop, the usual kind of song you might find on an album. It’s more similar to Shady Lady.

Bangx2
This one is just total rock. Like no rock fusion, complete rock. I liked it, a lot. It’s kind of hard rock, but no worries, nowhere near metal. Yongguk sings the opening, and wow, that guy should definitely sing more. I liked how the instruments featured a lot, and the rap really fit with the rock sound.

SNS (Sexy N Special)
Another RnB style song, more groovy than Shady Lady. There’s definitely a little sexy air to this (it wasn’t banned on broadcasts because of this, but rather because they mentioned Twitter). It’s more upbeat, too. The whole song just flows really well, sometimes a bit too much for my tastes, as the chorus seems to just blend in too much. Daehyun’s adlibs in this are super-good, though.

Body and Soul
Nice song to move onto from SNS. Also very RnB. Smooth and silky, the whole song and all the vocals too. The song itself is very sexy, more sexy than SNS and softer too. The vocalists really outdid themselves on this one, not only in the parts but, gosh, the adlibs in this one! A very nice song to woo your other half, if you know what I mean.

Save Me
A little bit of this one was featured in the 1004 (Angel) MV. I feel about this song the same as I do about Coma, which was featured in the One Shot MV. It’s quite dramatic, and it just really stabs me sometimes. The parts, especially, are just so striking and emotional. The chorus line ‘Save me, save me, but be careful I’m like fire’ is one of my favourite B.A.P English lyrics.

B.A.B.Y
It’s too difficult to see this song in an unbiased way. Of course I’m going to love it. It’s B.A.P’s special song for their fandom BABY. They even released a beautiful special footage MV for it for Jongup’s birthday.
The song itself is very heartwarming, something to sway along to at times and bounce to at others, but I never find these songs very special musically. The song is not one to be skipped over, though. The raps I really like, and Himchan does a pull!

With You
Last track on the album, and the one B.A.P performed along with 1004 for their Music Bank comeback stage. The pronunciation in the chorus kind of put me off, but the song is not too bad. Another very heartwarming song following B.A.B.Y. Something to really smile at and sway along to. Pronunciation aside, the song is very good!


This album is gold. Truly. There is no song I disliked on this, and I can see the hardwork that’s been put into it. I like the RnB vibe they added to quite a few songs. Moreover, the members get to show off their talents, and the songs have been done keeping their abilities in mind. The only thing I might question is the order of the tracklist, though even that can be accepted very easily.


Rating: 9/10
Favourite Song: 1004 (Angel). Already told you. Seriously, have you heard it?
Least Favourite Song: Lovesick


Seriously, if you don’t listen to this album, you’re doing yourself a disservice. Check them out on iTunes, I am strongly recommending it.

No comments:

Post a Comment