Saturday 30 June 2012

Hearts Attached: The beginning, and some character clarification


Double post day! This one is on my series Hearts Attached, which you can read on Wattpad.
Okay, so I’ve noticed that some people had a little trouble with the characters. This should help:
Spider diagrams make everything easier. Even a complex web of interrelations between twelve characters.

My current (and first) story is called 'If You Can't Take the Heat...' and it features the lead character of the series, Adam Forrester. Clichéd trope of teenage romance: he's a jerk. But I guess you could say he's a jerk with a twist? Mainly because the character was created without the intent of making him the lead in a romance.
Okay, this is important shit so maybe I should've mentioned this first: I do not own Adam. Adam is not my character, I didn’t create him, but I have known him for four years.
So you see the challenge in writing about him? I just can’t make up qualities that don’t exist. It’s like writing a fanfiction. I pucking hate fanfiction. (I like to swear. But some people can’t handle it, so I’ll just be saying puck from now on. I’m extremely disappointed.)
But he’s just too cute that I can’t resist :)
Okay, so what’s to know about the real Adam? He’s 26, he has black hair and his eyes are blue. He prefers desserts, but he does enjoy cooking other types of food. He’s been in jail for stealing from a rich pretty boy that he hated, and he’s visited Russia and New Zealand– he didn’t enjoy either vacation.
Wait, more important: my sister created Adam. No, he’s not a real person, but he’s been worked on for over four years, so he could pretty much pass off as one.
(Ha ha, see what I did there? I made you think Adam might be a real person. Or maybe I just epically failed and you saw through that one. Damn.)
She actually created half the cast characters in the series. I made the other half. Little list (actually, a pretty big list…):

Me:
Shane Summers
Lance Summers
Frankie Smith
Janet Kingston
Trianna Malley
Hunter Winters
(I like season surnames! Leave me alone!)

Sister:
Adam Forrester
Jeff Forrester
James Alexander
Drake Tennyson
Kai Tennyson

Lena’s the only character specifically created for the stories. So, I was pretty worried about making her sound as natural and complex as the others’. That’s my main goal, apart from actually managing to make the humour as good as it is when Sis and I talk.
Did I mention? We role-play these characters. Weird? Yes. But loads of fun. Sis is a writer too (oh, what the puck, I’ll just call her El), so she’s always creating new scenes, new tensions, and loads of other stuff. El’s great at writing, but can’t do anything long– no, I’m not calling her lazy, don’t think that I think she’s lazy, she’s definitely not lazy.
Does roleplaying sound weird? Kinda is, but not really. It’s like creating your own sitcom or TV show, except you can control what you want to happen (except when your partner/s intentionally go against you ’cause they wanna do something else… it’s happened, but not too badly). Kinda like writing a book, but funner. Much.
So, I hope this cleared some things up… or created a few more questions. Next blog entry on Hearts Attached, I’ll talk about the character based most off me: Shane.

No comments:

Post a Comment