Sunday 24 March 2013

My thoughts on: U-KISS’ Standing Still MV



Don’t expect something long and emotional on this one. Definitely not as highly-charged as my post on B.A.P’s One Shot MV.

This time around it’s U-KISS, with their new video Standing Still. The video is pretty much usual U-KISS-fare– there’s coordinated outfits, cool settings and some sexy dance moves. And since I absolutely adore these boys, I have to have a post for them.

Okay, did I mention I love U-KISS? Yeah, so this was a pretty disappointing MV for me, especially as the first time I’d heard the song was when they’d performed it on M! Countdown. I was really impressed with them then, and honestly, the MV isn’t as good.



There’re some long intro scenes, before Soohyun dazzles us with his voice. He’s got his hair up in the solo frame. He looks good.

And then:
Hoon. *sigh* He looks so good. He was moving around a lot, so getting a satisfactory still was difficult. But I hope you get that he looks good.

And then everything just had to be ruined with this:
Dongho. No, Dongho. Please, cut your hair. Or don’t tie it up into a little bun at the top of your head. Everyone else looks so good, why did you have to do this?
Cute picture of Dongho from when he had short hair is necessary
Right, so other stuff keeps happening. Kevin looks too hardcore for my liking, but I’ll accept it, because Kevin. And then…

 AJ! AJ, we missed you! For those who don’t know, AJ’s been missing from U-KISS’ promotions for a while, as he was studying psychology at Columbia University. Yeah.

I guess stills of all members are mandatory. Here’s Eli with his strange new hair colour. He’s got his eyebrow piercings in and it’s so hot.

Kiseop. No comment. He’s just really good-looking. The bright lips and the jacket-pattern remind me of a snake theme, actually.

Right, by this time we’ve basically seen the chorus and their awesome dance moves. Actually, we haven’t really seen their awesome dance moves. I don’t know if they were trying to be all dramatic or something, but the camera refuses to focus on the boys for most of the dance in the chorus. We just get proper shots of the members during their second ‘point’ dance, where they do seemingly effortless things with their feet.

Welcome to the worst gif ever made.

And now comes my biggest peeve with this MV. See, on the M! Countdown performance, the instrumental part (that has acoustic guitar– wicked) was covered by Kiseop having a dance solo. In the MV, though, we just get shots of the chick who annoyingly kept popping up before. Really, this is too much. You won’t give us clear shots of the members, and we don’t even get a Kiseop dance solo?

Screw this, I’m just gonna watch Forbidden Love.
Better

Wait, I can’t. Must finish the post. Right, Eli goes into his English rap (very cool), and then we get double AJ! We got double Dongho a while ago, actually, but it was just some other shots of him with that terrible bun, so I skipped those.

AJ’s rap is pretty cool, but the best part of this song has to be the chorus. This last chorus, especially, the three main vocalists do that cool overlap thing, and it sounds really awesome. Another reason I love the chorus is because Kevin’s expression is always perfect during it.
I just realised this is the first Kevin still I put up. And Dongho's photobombing it.

And that’s basically it. In short: Song good, MV… not so much. But, really, the song’s awesome, and that’s enough reason to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment