Tuesday 25 June 2013

My Thoughts on: Xia Junsu’s Tarantallegra



Junsu’s releasing an album. You are excited. That’s all there is to it.
Don’t say that you’re not excited. You are. If you say you aren’t you’re lying to yourself and to me.

Okay. Sorry about that, I’m alright now. Just got caught up in the craze. But yeah, Junsu’s releasing another solo album soon, and I’m be gonna sharing my thoughts on the title track of his previous one, Tarantallegra.

Bit of a mouthful, eh? Tarantallegra. Don’t worry, just enter ‘Junsu T’ in Google, and ‘Junsu Tarantallegra’ should be one of the recommended searches. Or click here to watch.
Actually, the name of the song comes from a spell in the Harry Potter series, one that makes you dance uncontrollably. Draco apparently used it on Harry in the second movie.
It’s an appropriate name.

Right, so this MV… let’s just say it’s pretty awesome. I downloaded it May 4th this year, and I have watched it pretty much everyday since. Usually twice or three times. Because I’m weird and addicted.
Okay, in this MV, Junsu wears a lot of different outfits. I’m actually gonna count them as they come up, yeah?


The MV starts with a little sneak peek of what’s gonna come in the MV. Hot girls, hot guys, dramatic backgrounds. I would put up a snapshot, but I insist on having Junsu be first.


Outfit #1: The Boss. Because he looks so awesome sitting in that great stone chair. I love all the jewellery around his neck, and the pattern in the suit. This is the first dance outfit, and he looks so good. Like, so, so hot. Seriously not the cute, innocent ex-DBSK member I’d heard of. And he dances so well!
And then we have his next outfit really close:

The shot isn't too good, sorry
Outfit #2: The Prince in Gold. There’ll be a lot of nobility references, I can’t help it. Bowl haircut… actually looks pretty damn good. Sitting in the stone chair, he doesn’t dance in this outfit, and we don’t get too many clear shots of it either. You can see him better in this teaser:


Unless you’re totally oblivious and completely absorbed in Junsu, you might notice we also have a rapper. He’s Flowshik from the band Aziatix, and he actually sings a great deal of the song. I like it, though, the repetitive lines. And damn it, Junsu looks so freaking sexy while Flowshik raps, the choreography is awesome and he pulls it off confidently.

Junsu then starts singing. His voice is husky and alluring and perfect for the song. He also shows off his dance moves. He does both at the same time during concerts, and I am just in awe.
Chorus comes on. Not a big fan of the chorus. I’m more of a fan of powerful choruses, so this was a little anticlimactic for me. We then get a little music break (I love the heavy beat during it) and then:

Outfit #3: The Lonely Count. The black coat with the lace pattern really gave me a count-like feel, and you’ll get the feel of his name when we close up on him later.

We then move onto a scene change– a winter blizzard. Another review I read of this MV called this scenery kind of cheap, and yeah– it’s quite obviously, blatantly fake. But I like it. It really adds a different dimension to the MV, which has so far been dominantly dark and warm. This scene is also the home of the next outfit change:


Outfit #4: The Red Duke. My favourite outfit. Seriously, this is when I fell in love. So, so good-looking here, with the blonde and the maroon-red. I’m so glad we get loads of close-ups of him like this, and so many shots of him in this setting. I love Junsu blonde.


 Woops, almost forgot! We also have Outfit #5: The Dancer. I love his dreamy expression when we close up on his posing for the camera.



And then we have The Lonely Count’s close relative, Outfit #6: The Grey-Eyed Princess. Does this man ever look unattractive? Junsu said that when he dressed up as a woman, he thought himself prettier than most women. He was right. He looks distinct and different, but still so beautiful.

Also, we get a close of silently crying Junsu in black, thus explaining The Lonely Count.



One more chorus, and then we see Outfit #7: The Dark Sorcerer, Controller of Men. Not to be confused with:


Outfit #8: The Dark Sorcerer, Controller of Women. You might get all caught up in that bright orange-red hair (not Junsu’s best look), but yes, he is wearing something different. While Flowshik raps, Junsu stands with the women who are totally all over him. Lucky women. His gaze as he gets fawned all over his really strong.

And this dance snapshot really fits the name
We also get shots of another background, this one with Outfit #9: The Mad Scientist. This is a purely dance outfit– we get no close-up shots of it, which is a real shame. I adore Junsu blonde.


And then, we have Outfit #10: The Rockstar. Named so because of all the cameras on him. This is Junsu’s main outfit for the rest of the MV, his dance outfit. No, he is not wearing a shirt under that jacket… yes, I like it.
You might notice that he also doesn’t have clear-cut, sculpted abs. I think I like it like that. I actually think he’d look weird if he did have abs.

The chorus starts up again, and this time we have Junsu’s powerful adlibs over it. Aargh this guy sounds so good. No wonder he’s one of the most highly-rated idol singers. His voice is strong and husky and I’m just gonna fangirl a moment.
.
Okay. Done. Wait, no, not done. Junsu does this sexy little panting (dies)

Might not seem that great, but that’s because you haven’t heard him say it. It is to die for.

Much like the high pull he goes into.


We then have some awesome, hot music play while numerous girls fawn over him again. He looks so at ease, so confident. I’m dying.



Oh, wait, what’s this? None other than Outfit #11: The Dark Sorcerer, Controller of Dreams. Yes, we have women’s hands all over him, but he is not wearing the same thing. I’ve watched this video fourteen billion times. I know.

Flowshik starts with his lines again, and once again Junsu wows us with his dancing. The song ends with some an awesome shot of Junsu giving us a burning gaze.



You might’ve noticed quite a few things about this video (if you weren’t all caught up in Junsu, anyway). First is that all the back-up dancers are foreign. All of them. Also, all the girls are quite healthy– they look strong, which is good since that’s the MV’s general theme, strength. Also, we don’t only have scantily-clad girls being hot and sexualized– everyone is hot and sexualized, the girls, the guys, everyone except Flowshik.

Either way, this is an MV with a very strong impact, and Tarantallegra should definitely not be skipped over.

And now I leave you with Junsu’s favourite extra MV footage:


 I love this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment