Tuesday 3 June 2014

Album Review: Jun. K- Love & Hate



Review of Jun. K’s Japanese album, Love & Hate. Jun. K is 2PM’s main vocal, and this is his chance to really shine.

This whole album is just truly Jun. K. It’s displaying all the different aspects of his music and skills, and it has an added, distinct flavour of his unique, beautiful personality. If you’re a fan, this album is a joy. If not, you’ll still enjoy going on this ride with Jun. K.

Well then, let’s go.




Love & Hate
First track, title track. There’s a PV for it too. I like this song, a lot. It’s a bit fractured and random, but it’s all done on purpose and plays off well. There is a little old school style to it; actually the whole album sounds quite retro. I don’t usually like songs arranged like this, in a non-conventional style, but I enjoyed this one. It just ends a little too abruptly for my tastes.
The rap, though, I like

No Music No Life
Featuring Japanese soloist AI. AI’s voice is not my favourite, but Jun. K’s voice is beautiful in this. The song itself is pretty good, but I found myself wishing Jun. K had done this song by himself. Still, if you like AI’s strong voice, you’ll enjoy this song more than I did.

With You
A light-hearted song to sway along to. This kind of has an old musical feel to it. It suits Jun. K’s voice, and it’s just really fun to listen to. I like how he switches between strong to soft with his voice in this. It has a real springtime feel to it.

Mr. Doctor
The first of two hip-hop songs on the album. Honestly this song is not the greatest. Jun. K’s rap is here is not really interesting at all. The whole song is quite typical, sounds like something I’ve heard a number of times before. Usual K-Pop hip-hop attempt.
But I do like the humour aspect to the song. Yeah. It’s pretty funny.

Real Love
Followed by the first of two ballads on the album. This one features Lang Lang, reputed pianist. This is a truly beautiful song, one of my favourites. Jun. K’s voice is amazing in this, strong and clear at times and soft at others. The lyrics are simple and powerful. The piano work is great, and accompanies Jun. K’s voice instead of overshadowing it. This one gets a 100 from me.

No Love (album ver.)
The album version of No Love, the ‘main’ song of the album. The song has a PV, which I wrote about here. I love this song so much. Like Love & Hate it has an unusual arrangement, but it comes off well, and Jun. K does well to show us many different aspects of his voice.
The album version isn’t much different from the one heard in the PV. A few piano notes are added near the end, but it’s not enough of a difference to make the album version better or worse for me.

True Swag (pt. 2)
Featuring Korean rapper Simon D. The second hip hop song, and honestly, just as tired and usual as the first. The rapping is better in this, and not only because Simon D is in it– Jun. K raps better in this too. But the embarrassment factor is high in this one. The lyrics… I hate that word. Swag. I cannot believe that, in 2014, I still have to hear this word.

Tegami wo Kaku (Writing a Letter)
Second ballad, and the final song. I found this song a little boring, certainly not as good as Real Love. It’s just a calm, slow song to end the album.


Rating: 7/10
Favourite Song: No Love
Least Favourite Song: True Swag


7 might seem like a low rating, considering how good the individual songs in this are. Rather, what made me give it 7 was how haphazard the album was. There was too much diversity to be contained in just 8 songs. The album is supposed to show the different aspects and charms of Jun. K, but he has too many for just 8 songs.
Also, he needs to work on his rap. Maybe it’s because the album was in Japanese, a language he’s not fluent in, but Jun. K was quite uncomfortable to listen to on the rap songs.


Still, the songs on this are good, and I’d recommend checking him out on iTunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment