Monday 23 July 2012

How Not to Write a Book: Let’s use a cookie cutter and make some characters!


Okay, disclaimer repeat: I am not an expert, I’m just someone who’s made these mistakes before and am putting down how I got around them.

Alright, so the last post was about reducing or boiling down your large cast, and the one point that I (and everyone) kept making was to develop your characters. And that’s exactly what this post is about.

So, the first step: actually creating the character. All characters must be created with a specific purpose. Like the last post said, you probably shouldn’t add a character simply because you like their personality. They should add something to the story.

(If you could see my face right now, you’d see me in quite a bit of pain. I hate sharing information about my story. I’m secretive like that. But I really want to get my point across. And because I’m also quite weird, I’ll be using nicknames only.) So, for me, all characters start out as one basic trait. My lead character, Az, started with the basic idea of making him intelligent. Shay was made to be energetic (and good-looking… this is actually an integral part of his personality) and Aiku (I love this nickname!) just frankly mean. Once you’ve got the base down, it’s time to start building.

Character development has always come quite naturally for me. In fact, I’m always surprised when people say that creating characters is the hardest thing for them. I’ve always found it extremely easy, though this may be because I have quite a bit of free time, and my mind is always circling around my story. I have never used character sheets– never needed them.

The best way to develop a character is to try and come up with as many scenes as possible about them. You can write them out, but if you’re lazy like me, just thinking them up should be enough. These scenes don’t have to be those influential to the story– in fact, I think the mundane ones work the best. In the fantasy novel I’m writing, the scenes that helped with the character development included campfire-talk scenes, humourous scenes that had no place in the story, and… um… pillow talk. That only worked for two characters though (since I typically suck at romance) but it worked well.

Out-of-world scenes are very useful too. My favourite one is the waiting-in-bank scene. My favourite response was from Shay, who is a soldier. He’d just ask someone behind to hold his place, and then go and sleep on the sofas that you sit and fill stuff out on. One of his qualities is over-familiarity with everything.

Other scenes to use would be:
1.      A trip to an extremely crowded shopping mall.
2.      If someone were to fall sick.
3.      An interview for a job
4.      A trip to a bar. The actions of the characters both sober and drunk.

And loads more. It’s up to you, really.

After the developing the characters, try comparing them with the base; look at how many qualities they gained and how they relate to your original idea base. Az is intelligent, but he’s also embarrassed easily, generally perceptive but awkward when it comes to women, and with leadership qualities he never recognized before. Shay is energetic and fun, but superficial and flaky in relationships, vain and with handicapping fear of blood. Aiku is mean and short-tempered, but very proud with a noble air, and is very romantic too.

I don’t know if it’s happened to other writers, but I’ve found that in the process of developing characters, the bases can change. The original King written for the story was mature and rational; the current and final one is shy and has unbelievably low self-esteem. Ruki was originally noble, proud and short-tempered– he was written as Aiku’s rival, and they clashed as they had very similar personalities. He is now sneaky, clever and with a loose sense of morality– and he and Aiku now clash because they’re too different.

The King’s personality changed around the story, while Ruki’s personality changed the story. This has happened a few times in the past, in previous stories for me, and I’m yet unsure as to whether or not it’s a bad thing. I think it is.

Well, I hope this post helped someone. If not, I’m glad to just have rambled anyway. Next post: Writing Mary-Sues and how to get out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment