Tuesday 30 July 2013

My Thoughts On: B.A.P’s Hurricane MV




After releasing the tracklist and name of their new mini-album Bad Man, B.A.P have jumped on my radar again (don’t hate me, there was INFINITE and B2ST and Junsu). And so I’m finally getting this Hurricane MV review out there.

This MV has made quite a stir in the B.A.P fandom. Everything has really been looked at and talked about over and over– way more than the buzz over Coffee Shop. The MV has been loved and chuckled at, and usually both at the same time. As for me, I much preferred Coffee Shop, song and MV-wise.

The MV was filmed in Las Vegas, but for those of you worrying for the underage members (which is, like, all but two) there was no gambling or anything of the sort, and the only partying took place in a limo with no drinks and no chicks. But there was a stripper pole. That Daehyun was a little too fond of.





It starts off with the six boys walking down an empty Las Vegas street, wearing… gold foil. Aargh, the bane of my K-Pop groups’ existence is back. Gold foil? Why? Why do they think people look good in that? Himchan’s hair is still parted, but at least it’s on the side. At least.


 
 
Shots of the boys in the Nevada desert, as well as a glimpse of the best part of this MV flicker past. Don’t worry, you’ll see it enough later. A heavy, pulsating beat starts us off, as well as our leader’s deep voice, and then Daehyun starts showing off early with his voice. He also shows off his gorgeous face.


Youngjae starts singing, and honestly it’s a little hard for me to pick out his voice, as they heavy beat’s still going on in the back. He looks really nice though. I think instead of trying to push the clean, prim image on Himchan they should give it to Youngjae.

Jongup comes in to the MV, with that red-maroon hair so gorgeous on him. Shades are pretty prevalent in this MV, and Jongup knows how to rock ’em. Unfortunately, a lot of his shots are not in the tuxedo-hotel room setting, but with the gold-foil clothes, and in that setting Jongup’s clothes are the absolute worst. No, I will not screenshot them, because I don’t want to embarrass Jongup.

Daehyun comes in with the pre-chorus and some nice high notes, but there’s so much movement in this MV it’s difficult to get good screenshots, and honestly I’m a little tired.
 
Okay, these were just too good to pass up on.

Himchan starts his part, but honestly, can you really listen to anything when this comes up on screen?
He looks gorgeous! So cool and confident and sexy. Also, the car is freaking awesome.

 After another line from Daehyun the chorus starts up. Ah, the chorus. It’s perfectly fine if you don’t get what they’re saying– the background music is funky and it’s really something awesome to dance to. Of course, the first thing that hits you though, is that Daehyun is repeatedly saying ‘we hurricane’. Not… the best English. I actually accept that, though– he’s using the word hurricane as a verb, not a noun. What I cannot accept, though, is the last line where he says ‘I’m hurricane’. I like to fool myself into believing he’s saying ‘I’m here again’.

And then my favourite part of this song. Youngjae’s voice is all high and the tune is like what they’d play in those swanky ’60s clubs, and Youngjae really looks the part.

And Daehyun looks gorgeous too, but I really do prefer Youngjae’s part.

Wait, why does Youngjae look so gorgeous in this? Why am I filled with an uncontrollable desire to just fill this whole post with his screenshots?

Oh, and Himchan in the car.

 And now possibly the most famous part of this MV. It’s amazing how many jokes 7 seconds of an MV can spawn. Himchan’s middle-parting isn’t even the big deal. It’s that he is–quite clearly–saying the loof is on fire. And he looks so nonchalant as he says it. For a moment I wondered if actually he was saying it right, and I’d just been saying it wrong all my life. That’s how confident he looked. I’m not even putting screenshots of him in that chair or in the car.
Oh, and while he’s saying the loof is on fire, you can hear that heavy beat-whistle combo from No Mercy. Pretty cool.

Yongguk starts his rap, and again, strong heavy beat is present. I’m not a big fan of how it’s just meshing together with Yongguk’s voice. It’s pretty short, actually, and then we get Zelo’s rap.

And a clear-ish shot of Zelo and what fans are calling the Grandma Perm. Seriously, what is up with the colour? Actually, it looks perfectly cute when tucked down underneath a cap, or even when it’s made all clean and proper. Unfortunately Zelo’s moving around so damn much it’s impossible to get a good shot. If I fish around the MV, though, I think I might be able to squeeze some out.




We go back to chorus, and my favourite part of the chorus is that there’s a lot of freestyle dance, and Zelo and Jongup can show off without have anyone else on their minds. Looked super, super cool.
And then Youngjae comes back with my favourite part of the song, and I keep myself from spazzing. Youngjae’s taking over my heart in this song, really.

Ooh, mandatory Himchan-in-car shot.

And then super-flipping-awesome dance break where Zelo and Jongup pretty much blow anything and everything out of the water. I wish we could’ve seen at least a little of Jongup’s face, though.

And then Zelo comes in with a surprisingly deep voice. I guess I’m just too used to his nasal one. He’s speaking English, proper English, thus reinforcing my belief that only he can pull it off. (sorry Yongguk, is true)
I'll just add a snapshot of you, because I love you
 
I couldn't cut Yongguk out, I'm sorry Jongup
Ooh, mandatory crappily-made gif of Jongup’s awesome cap-losing flip.

And the song pretty much ends. Not the best B.A.P song, in my opinion. Maybe that’s why the review turned out so short. Hopefully Bad Man is better. The DaeJae teaser is definitely lifting expectations.
Oh, and don’t forget to follow this BABY on twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment