Thursday 18 July 2013

My Thoughts on: XIA Junsu’s Incredible MV



-slaps self to keep from mindlessly fangirling-
Okay, here we go with the title track of Junsu’s new Incredible album which, if reports are to be believed, lives up to its name. Right here, though, I’ll just be talking about the MV.

The song Incredible is, in my opinion, pretty nice. The tune is catchy, Junsu sounds good (as if that’s news) and it’s great fun– in essence, the perfect summer song. I've got this song on damn repeat as I put in all the pictures and links. It's played like twenty times already and I'm not close to being sick of it.

I’m trying super-hard not to compare this with Tarantallegra. People, I fucking love Tarantallegra’s MV, regardless of what anyone else says. Incredible is nothing like Tarantallegra, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but the sad thing was I kind of (foolishly) expected it to be. Anyway, off we go.



 The MV starts with some people partying at a house. This was (to me) terribly long and not at all necessary. In fact, I’d just prefer to start the MV off here:


Finally, we see Junsu, and the song really starts. Starts off with nice, heavy beat, one you just know is gonna morph into a good dance song. Junsu looks really nice– the simple, white shirt is really flattering on him. The best thing about Incredible, better than Taran (Junsu called it Taran, I’m calling it Taran) is that Junsu’s smiling. This is a fun song, and he looks like he’s having fun. Really nice to see.



We go right into the dance setting, where Junsu’s wearing something you might recognize from the Incredible teasers. What I didn’t know, though, was that he was wearing shorts. Okay, this is just my preference, but shorts… I mean, long shorts are fine, but short shorts, like the ones Junsu is wearing… not my favourite. The shoes are nice, but the white tights under the shorts, I’m still on the fence with those.

We also get the main gist of the MV– there is a pretty girl at this pool party, one that Junsu’s interested. I must admit I’m terribly jealous, and have never before wanted to be a hot chick in my 20s before, but the girl seems to be quite pretty. She also seems to be a Junsu fan. Or maybe she’s just pretending, so that she doesn’t get killed by Junsu fans. -shrugs-

The chorus starts up around this time, and it’s just as you’d expect– something with a good dance beat, one that really jumps into your head and refuses to leave. Junsu’s dancing all throughout this, and I have to say, this guy never ceases to amaze me. The dance in this seems just as hard-hitting as the one in Taran, probably even more so. He performed it live in his showcase, and I missed it and I cried and it’s awesome how he was able to sing through it too. 
 Speaking of the dance, I’m actually not the biggest fan of it. Maybe because it keeps emphasizing on those shorts, I don’t know.

There’s a lot of English in this song. And it is English, people, not Engrish. Oh, bless the Lord, Junsu is good at the pronunciation! So nice to hear, after just listening to B.A.P’s Hurricane (that’s a story for another post). We’ve come a long way from Ras Vegas. (People, you need to watch All About DBSK season 3)

Ah, back to the MV and we get a clear shot of the girl. She is quite pretty, and her eyes are big and pixie-like, set in a delicate face– just the Asian standard of beauty. The headband also helps add the mystical charm, if the careful hiding of her face didn’t.

Then we go into the big after the chorus, and as nice as it is to hear, I feel like it just makes the song even more generic. Also, it’s at this point I realize just how blurry this whole video is. Damn, was it always like this? Why won’t it stop blurring, don’t they realize I’m watching this whole freaking thing for Junsu? What’s the point, if they keep blurring and I can’t even see him having fun?


Oh, I forgot to add this in before! Another setting, and Junsu is dressed much more… out-there. I like it, though I feel like I shouldn’t. The song continues, and we get a bed-scene:

Gold-foil suit. Why? Why do stylists continually think we enjoy seeing our stars in bright gold-foil? The chick’s with him, but honestly, I don’t mind. Nothing too rated is going on, (the video’s rated 15, people) and he seems comfortable.
The Seoulbeats Incredible MV review (no, I’m not linking, I’m afraid of losing you to that occasionally pretentious site) said that when you got a girl in bed, maybe it’s better you don’t just sing to her. I’d like to wholeheartedly disagree. When your voice is Junsu’s voice, I’d want you singing to me all the damn time, especially when we’re getting it on.

Oh, this is the other setting previously seen, and they’re dancing here. He didn’t really need the water on the floor to look cool, but if they wanna add it in, be my guest.

Chorus again, and then Junsu turns on the hotness.
I’m sorry my gif-making skills are crap, but this must be added in.

This must also be added in. It is absolutely mandatory.

And then comes my biggest peeve with this song. I don’t know why Junsu insists on having a rapper in this song. He did it in Taran as well, but I actually quite liked Flowshik, his rap, and what he added to the song– I don’t think Taran would feel quite complete without him. Quincy though, in Incredible, is completely unnecessary. Junsu can pull this song off without him, and I’d appreciate this song so, so much more if this was just a music-only dance break.
In fact, I’m just about to fire up Audacity to see if I can completely remove the rap. I tried to do this for EXO’s Wolf, and did damn good, even repeating the original post-chorus D.O-Baekhyun bit to make a new chorus. But I just couldn’t make it seamless.

I'm so sorry Junsu, but it's impossible to get proper snapshots in this MV!
Finally, the rap’s done, and we get another dance setting for Junsu. It’s another place where he’s wearing shorts, and then we get him in some other clothes you might recognize from the Incredible D-1 teaser.


And then my favourite part of this MV. Seriously, I feel like they added this in just to please me. It’s the throne setting, where Junsu’s wearing that gorgeous, extravagant hat, and I really feel it’s a terrible shame we get such little screentime of this. I hope they do what they did with Even Though I Already Know, which they made out of Taran extra cuts, and they make an extra little MV with the throne cuts.

This screenshot. I cannot get over it.

The chorus is on again, and Junsu’s adlibs are on over it. They’re much less powerful than what I’d prefer, but I guess I couldn’t expect anything too explosive, since this is just a pool-party-fun song.

And the Junsu fangirls freak out. I’d call myself a fangirl too, but more than the skinship with another female, I’m more interested to know whether or not Junsu was comfortable with it. If he was, fine, but I hope he didn’t do anything he was uncomfortable with just to make a statement in an MV.

Eventually the song ends, but not before a kiss that made everyone freak out even more, until Junsu revealed it was fake. It looks terribly real, though, so props to them.


 
And we need more throne-shots, people. He looks too gorgeous, it is such a waste.

And that was the Incredible MV. Not really incredible to me, though– the MV didn’t stand out much, even if it did fit the song. We could’ve done with a little less blurring and a little more throne-time, but all in all, it wasn’t the worst MV ever made, and was actually quite good.

 My next post is probably going to be B.A.P’s Hurricane MV, so anticipate. Also, the Incredible album is said to be absolutely stunning, so you should definitely check it out on iTunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment